The Semper Soccer MLS Week 19 Recap
MLS week 19 shall be known as the mid-week week here at the Semper Soccer blog. With the Independence Day holiday on Tuesday and the CONCACAF Gold Cup competition kicking off over the weekend, all 22 Major League Soccer clubs played during the week. While soccer fans in the USA were busy grilling, spending time with family and lighting a few fireworks, we hope you made room for some soccer as MLS goes on break until July 19. It’s time to look back at the week that was with the Semper Soccer Blog MLS week 19 recap.
This week’s schedule played out in the middle of the week with 11 games across Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. The 4th of July kicked off the action with five games before five more on the 5th and a finale on the 6th. Here’s a look at the results on the MLS week 19 scoreboard.
- Atlanta United 4 – San Jose Earthquakes 2
- Minnesota United 0 – Columbus Crew 1
- FC Dallas 4 – D.C. United 2
- Colorado Rapids 1 – Seattle Sounders 3
- Los Angeles Galaxy 2 – Real Salt Lake 6
- New England Revolution 2 – New York Red Bulls 3
- Orlando City 1 – Toronto FC 3
- Houston Dynamo 3 – Montreal Impact 1
- Vancouver Whitecaps 3 – New York City FC 2
- Portland Timbers 2 – Chicago Fire 2
- Sporting Kansas City 1 – Philadelphia Union 1
5 Things To Know
- Hey LA, your home fans deserve a win. The Galaxy is the one team in the league that does the opposite of this season’s narrative. They struggle at home and succeed on the road. Most recently, they were ripped 6-2 by Real Salt Lake. Los Angeles has let in 18 goals at home, worst in MLS. And six of those were courtesy of a Salt Lake team that sat in last place in the West heading into the game. As one of the most successful American clubs ever, Galaxy supporters aren’t used to seeing soccer like this.
- Christian Ramirez is your reason to watch Minnesota. The Loons now occupy last place in the Western Conference, earning less than one point per game. They’ve given up 42 goals and their rocky start to the season was well documented. But that doesn’t mean you should ignore them. You need to see forward Christian Ramirez play. His success story is incredible. He started out in USL in 2013, then moving up to NASL by joining Minnesota United. Ramirez climbed the ladder with the team and now has 10 goals in MLS play. Do yourself a favor and watch this guy.
- Montreal’s inconsistency keeps them anonymous. The Impact fought through ups and downs up to this point and have a fairly even record to show for it. They have five wins, six losses and six draws totaling 21 points for ninth place in the East. Can they rise above the middle of the pack and compete for a playoff spot in the East? Seven of their next nine league matches after the break are at home so it’s time for the Impact to stand out.
- The U.S. Open Cup takes the spotlight. With Major League Soccer taking a break for the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the domestic action is up to the Open Cup. The four quarterfinal games start today with one match every day through Thursday. San Jose faces Los Angeles today, Sporting KC hosts FC Dallas Tuesday, Miami FC squares off against FC Cincinnati Wednesday then New York Red Bulls and New England Revolution finish up the round on Thursday. If you’re looking to watch the American clubs you know and love, get your fix with the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup quarterfinals.
- The first pieces of the MLS All-Star Game roster are out. Major League Soccer revealed the results of the MLS All-Star Fan XI vote this week. The roster will come to 24 when Commissioner Don Garber makes his two selections and reporters who cover MLS round out the pool. In the meantime, here’s the 11 that MLS fans elected through the course of a month-long vote.
Player Of The Week
Clint Dempsey wasted no time getting the Independence Day party started for the Seattle Sounders. On the road at Colorado, it took Dempsey just six minutes to bag the first goal of the game. Then Deuce ended the night much like he started it. With Seattle ahead 2-1 after a 78th-minute goal by the Rapids, Dempsey secured all three points for the Sounders with incredible touch in the 85th minute. The brace was the perfect way for Dempsey to celebrate his 150th career MLS start. That performance also earned our recognition as the MLS week 19 Player of the Week.
After all the mid-week action, here’s how the teams stand after MLS week 19.
Soccer Savings and the Semper Soccer blog are your places for all things soccer. Be sure to check out our Fan Shop for all your soccer team gear needs. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter, or leave a comment here on the blog to join the soccer conversation!